Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Big Deals and Haircuts

Well, I need to be getting some work done but I felt the need to post a post...

I'm super insanely busy and I. LOVE. IT. I'm working for Ballet Austin, dressing the kiddos for the nutcracker. It's exhausting but really fun. Those little girls are a hoot! On each night there are about 22 Angels, 6 Mice, 24 Bon Bons and 8 Chinese...it gets a little crazy in that room, I must say.

I'm also designing a show called Humble Boy for Different Stages. It's a modern day Hamlet? It's been fun. The company is pretty laid back and seem to trust me, for some reason. I'm beginning to think that the MFA on my resume actually does mean something...

I'm designing another show, Flying, for Breaking Strings Theatre. The show is a North American Premiere and the playwright is coming...it's kind of a big deal. And I'm nervous...because I have that MFA on my resume...I've forgotten how much I love to collaborate with new people and share ideas, to create something so exciting for an audience!

Let's see...in the process of designing these shows and working at Ballet Austin, I've met so many awesome people! James Devery, who I met through the scenic designer of Flying, has basically changed my life. Not only by cutting off all my hair (which I LOVE) but introducing me to another fellow costume designer, Benjamin Taylor Ridgeway. He does AMAZING work and is styling the White Ghost Shivers for new years. They are opening for Cake AND...wait for it...the lead singer will be sporting a hat I made in grad school...this, is a pretty big deal!

I'm feeling so blessed to have met so many people in the past year, between Whitefish and Austin. It made all the negative feelings and thoughts I had in the first 5 months of 2010 almost disappear. So, for all of you that didn't support me, all I have to say is thank you, for pushing me into the lives of people that do.

Happy Holidays ya'll!!

1 comment: